The Placenta is amazing. This incredible organ is the lifeline between you and your baby, supplying oxygen-rich blood, nutrients and hormones during pregnancy. The placenta is produced by the mother’s body for this very specific purpose, and then expelled when its purpose is fulfilled after the baby or babies are born.
You may find it difficult to find hard evidence regarding the benefits of placentophagia (the process of consuming the placenta postpartum). The majority of theevidence we have comes from the women who have tried it.
- Faster healing with increased release of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to normal size and encourages bonding with the infant.
- Pain relief. Research has shown that ingesting the placenta increases the effect of opioids. (This benefit may be especially helpful for mother’s who have had a cesarean section, episiotomy or severe tears, or prolapse of the uterus or cervix.)
- Decrease in post-partum depression levels and assistance with hormonal stabilization. Improvement in symptoms of the “baby blues”.
- Restoration of iron levels in the blood.
- Increase in milk production.
Placenta Encapsulation preserves the benefits of your placenta, all in a convenient capsule.
Hormones known to be in the placenta:
- Oxytocin – The feel good or love hormone. Creates feelings of bonding, pain relief, happiness and elation
- Cortisone – This hormone unlocks energy stored in the body and combats stress (cortisol)
- Interferon – This hormone stimulates the immune system to fight off infections while the mother is healing from the birth
- Prostaglandins – Act as an anti-inflammatory
- Hemoglobin – Replenishes iron, stimulates iron production in the blood
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII – Lessens bleeding and promotes faster healing
- Prolactin/HPL – Stimulates healthy mammary function and milk production
Basic Heated Method
The traditional heated process involves steaming, dehydrating, and grinding the placenta into fine powder, then filling your choice of vegetarian or gelatin capsules.
Placenta Salve:Add your placenta powder to an organic, nourishing body balm with myriad uses for healing and protecting your skin. This salve base is made of organic coconut and sweet almond oils, herbs, and beeswax. Placenta has often been used in for its healing and restorative properties. Placenta Salve has many uses, including applying to c-section scarring once the wound has closed, perineal tearing, hemorrhoids, diaper rash, eczema, sunburn and skin irritations.
I am a certified placenta encapsulation specialist with the International Placenta and Postpartum Association. I am also certified in handling Bloodborne Pathogens and Servsafe food safety. Sanitation, high safety standards, and universal precautions are closely adhered to when processing your placenta, to protect your health and mine.
Most recent placenta art and print photos can be found on my Instagram!